Women’s MMA Rankings shake-up discussion

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #13518

    Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

    ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: Women’s MMA Rankings shake-up discussion Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:08 am

    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 am
    Posts: 2836
    With her last 2 wins coming over top 135lbers like Hitomi and Amanda, it looks like time for Takayo Hashi to make appearance in the 135lb rankings. Also, with Rox beating Porto and Kaufman’s win over Molly, they need to move up. I’m thinking the revised list should look something like this. Thoughts?

    *revised* 135lbs
    1 -Tara La Rosa
    2 -Shayna Bazler
    3 -Roxanne Modaferri
    4 -Takayo Hashi
    5 -Amanda Buckner
    6 -Sarah Kaufman
    7 -Hitomi Akano
    8 -Vanessa Porto
    9 -Tonya Evinger
    10 -Julie Kedzie
    Top

    Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:19 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:18 pm
    Posts: 1011
    Location: Evansville, Indiana USA
    I would put Porto ahead of Hashi because of her greater experience fighting under less restricted rules. Jennifer Tate should be just ahead of Tonya Evinger, because Jennifer beat Tonya in their first match. If Carina Damm weighed inside the 135 lb class, she should be above wherever Vanessa Porto is.

    Emi Fujino, Aisling Daly, and Sally Krumdiak are on the bubble.
    Top

    Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:26 pm

    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
    Posts: 327
    Mark Grassman wrote:
    I would put Porto ahead of Hashi because of her greater experience fighting under less restricted rules. Jennifer Tate should be just ahead of Tonya Evinger, because Jennifer beat Tonya in their first match. If Carina Damm weighed inside the 135 lb class, she should be above wherever Vanessa Porto is.

    Emi Fujino, Aisling Daly, and Sally Krumdiak are on the bubble.
    Tate’s win over Evinger was a long time ago, it doesn’t really matter that much. Carina Damm is 125 lbs, and I believe Emi Fujino is 115.
    Top

    ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:51 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 am
    Posts: 2836
    I think Hashi should be higher then Porto because she has a better record and has beaten better opponents……Akano and Buckner. Jen Tate is not a “TOP 10” 135lber IMHO. Others thoughts?
    Top

    tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:06 am

    Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:13 am
    Posts: 240
    Hi Shdw

    I have updated the rankings today to include FFF results. Here’s the new 135.

    135lbs
    Tara La Rosa 14-1-0
    Shayna Bazler 19-4-0
    Roxanne Modaferri 12-4-0
    Takayo Hashi 12-1-0
    Amanda Buckner 11-5-1
    Vanessa Porto 8-3-0
    Hitomi Akano 12-5-0
    Tonya Evinger 6-3-0
    Julie Kedzie 8-7-0
    Sarah Kaufman 7-0-0
    Top

    ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:33 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 am
    Posts: 2836
    Hi tapoutuk – I’m wondering if Sarah Kaufman shouldn’t be ranked higher. She is now 7-0 with all 7 wins by KO and the last 2 wins came over then “Top 10” girls Ginele and Molly. Thoughts?
    Top

    Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:38 am
    Posts: 166
    Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
    tapoutuk wrote:
    Hi Shdw

    I have updated the rankings today to include FFF results. Here’s the new 135.

    135lbs
    Tara La Rosa 14-1-0
    Shayna Bazler 19-4-0
    Roxanne Modaferri 12-4-0
    Takayo Hashi 12-1-0
    Amanda Buckner 11-5-1
    Vanessa Porto 8-3-0
    Hitomi Akano 12-5-0
    Tonya Evinger 6-3-0
    Julie Kedzie 8-7-0
    Sarah Kaufman 7-0-0
    1. Tara
    2. Takayo
    3. Amanda
    4. Shayna
    5. Roxeanne
    6. Vanessa
    7. Hitomi
    8. Sarah
    9. Tonya
    10. Molly

    I think that Sarah will move up quick in this division. I also think that Molly still should be in the top 10. Molly had a great fight with Tama Chan and has proven herself for so long in the mma fight scene.
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:50 am
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    I’m going to have a hard time accepting Buckner falling that far in the rankings because of one fight – especially with two wins over Shayna. I agree with Pankration that Hashi should just move up instead of Amanda moving down.
    Top

    ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:13 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:38 am
    Posts: 2836
    Rankings are usually a “what have you done lately” type thing and with both Shayna and Rox having big wins, while Amanda just suffered a loss……dropping from 2nd to 5th seems about right for now. Of course, a win against any of those would move her right back towards the top spot.
    Top

    GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:32 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am
    Posts: 1576
    Location: Baja Cali/Vegas
    lookin pretty good, agree that Sarah K could arguably move up a few more notches but is optional, since she has not yet beaten any of those ranked above her, but likely will soon enough…
    tapoutuk wrote:
    Hi Shdw

    I have updated the rankings today to include FFF results. Here’s the new 135.

    135lbs
    Tara La Rosa 14-1-0
    Shayna Bazler 19-4-0
    Roxanne Modaferri 12-4-0
    Takayo Hashi 12-1-0
    Amanda Buckner 11-5-1
    Vanessa Porto 8-3-0
    Hitomi Akano 12-5-0
    Tonya Evinger 6-3-0
    Julie Kedzie 8-7-0
    Sarah Kaufman 7-0-0
    Top

    bwilli27
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:55 pm

    Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:42 pm
    Posts: 40
    Location: Portland Oregon
    Dumb question time,
    In your mind how do you think out these ratings? What goes into one person going above?
    Top

    Josh Barnett
    Post subject: Re: Rankings shake-up discussionPostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:41 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 12:11 am
    Posts: 306
    Location: Seattle, WA
    ShdwPrwler wrote:
    With her last 2 wins coming over top 135lbers like Hitomi and Amanda, it looks like time for Takayo Hashi to make appearance in the 135lb rankings. Also, with Rox beating Porto and Kaufman’s win over Molly, they need to move up. I’m thinking the revised list should look something like this. Thoughts?

    *revised* 135lbs
    1 -Tara La Rosa
    2 -Shayna Bazler
    3 -Roxanne Modaferri
    4 -Takayo Hashi
    5 -Amanda Buckner
    6 -Sarah Kaufman
    7 -Hitomi Akano
    8 -Vanessa Porto
    9 -Tonya Evinger
    10 -Julie Kedzie
    That looks good except I would put porto over Akano for right now.
    Top

    GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am
    Posts: 1576
    Location: Baja Cali/Vegas
    imo a number of key factors go into a ‘current’ rankings list…overall record, wins vs losses, quality of opponents, common opponents, performance level, fighter activity, fighter efficiency, and several others. with an emphasis on ‘current’ meaning there should be more weight placed on what a fighter has recently done rather than what they may have done back in 2002. then within that basic formula individual issues are discussed and decided by consensus…

    now with all that said consider that *any* rankings lists particularly in MMA are still based on a significant degree of subjectivity (bullshit)…and, as we’ve seen so many times it’s not to say some who may be ranked lower aren’t very capable of beating some who are ranked higher on any given night…or, rematch and lose to the same fighter they beat earlier. but the primary goals being to give at least the most accurate gauge possible for promoters, matchmakers, etc. to use for putting more competitive fights/cards together…

    btw i would agree Porto should prob be ranked below Akano seeing as how she just recently beat her…presuming that was only an error by Shdw since he also had her placed ahead after that win, if i recall…

    bwilli27 wrote:
    Dumb question time,
    In your mind how do you think out these ratings? What goes into one person going above?
    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:41 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    GFC wrote:
    i would agree Porto should prob be ranked below Akano seeing as how she just recently beat her…
    I think you meant Porto should be ranked above Akano. ❓
    Top

    GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:47 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am
    Posts: 1576
    Location: Baja Cali/Vegas
    exactly, thanks… 😉

    oslooskar wrote:
    GFC wrote:
    i would agree Porto should prob be ranked below Akano seeing as how she just recently beat her…
    I think you meant Porto should be ranked above Akano. ❓
    Top

     

    Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 am
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:38 am
    Posts: 166
    Location: Vancouver, BC Canada
    Pankration_MuayThai wrote:
    tapoutuk wrote:
    Hi Shdw

    I have updated the rankings today to include FFF results. Here’s the new 135.

    135lbs
    Tara La Rosa 14-1-0
    Shayna Bazler 19-4-0
    Roxanne Modaferri 12-4-0
    Takayo Hashi 12-1-0
    Amanda Buckner 11-5-1
    Vanessa Porto 8-3-0
    Hitomi Akano 12-5-0
    Tonya Evinger 6-3-0
    Julie Kedzie 8-7-0
    Sarah Kaufman 7-0-0
    1. Tara
    2. Takayo
    3. Amanda
    4. Shayna
    5. Roxeanne
    6. Vanessa
    7. Hitomi
    8. Sarah
    9. Tonya
    10. Molly
    .
    ok. i forgot julie. I change her as #10.

    but, molly, ginele…there’s very close to being in there too. I think that Sarah, Tonya, Molly, Ginele & Julie all float in the 8-10 range so it’s hard to actually rank them.
    Top

    GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:47 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am
    Posts: 1576
    Location: Baja Cali/Vegas
    valid point Liz, the thing is Julie beat Molly twice and recently beat Kelly, so really desrves to be up there even with the loss to Tonya who also beat Ginelle and is highly underrated imo. then with Sarah’s decisive wins back-to-back over both Ginelle and Molly plus you even in her first fight shows that she’s def the real deal. so based on that i can’t really see how either Molly or Ginelle could be ranked higher than Sarah or Julie (at this point)…but, they are still right up there maybe 11th or 12th range which is why the 135’s were extended beyond just a top 10…
    Top

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?