Women’s mma scene…

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

rebekah
    Post subject: Women’s mma scene… Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:37 am

What’s up with the women’s mma scene lately? Seems like its been a long while since I’ve heard of any women’s fights… Have I just been missing the news? anyone fighting?

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 8:58 pm

The top women can’t find fights or when they do their opponents back out. Look towards Europe and Japan.

KM

tofu
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:01 am

I know Japan has a decent scene, but Europe? I was under the impression that Europe’s mix fight scene for women was in worse shape than the United States. I can only name one fighter from Europe: Marloes Coenen. Come to think of it, I can’t think of too many men fighters from, or events being run out of Europe either. Seems like most are from the US, Brazil or Japan, but maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about. Fill me in.
    Erik

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 11:51 am

I’m just finding out about the EU myself even though my “beats” for FCF according to editor Tom are CA, FL, and EU (except UK). I’ve been on it about six months.

(a) most fighters I have talked to about the EU shows talk about M-1 (Russia but cross over so considered “Europe”), EVT (just had their third show), and 2Hot2Handle. Shooto also runs out there but I haven’t heard anybody talk about that as a goal.

(b) Check out Executioner’s post about It’s Showtime.

(c) Keep an eye on Team Golden Glory. I heard they have a couple more women ready to come out.

More later,
    KM

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 9:34 pm

Sorry…just got back from 10 days on the road and have a lot to catch up on.

*This is going by my definition of “Europe” which may not necessarily match the United Nations’ definition, based more on markets than political boundaries*

Haven’t heard of men from Europe?

(a) CroCop, Fedor, and Schilt in Pride. Gilbert Yvel if you still count him.

(b) Amar Suloev from Red Devil (Russia) beat Din Thomas in that Inoki New Years Eve show. Trevor Prangley just got in the UFC in his ew weight class basically by beating Andrei Semenov (Red Devil) in NJ. Both Semenov and Suloev are UFC vets.

(c) Joachim Hansen was the Shooto 155 champion from August until December of last year. He beat Sato and Gomi (for the belt) then lost the belt to Ribeiro. In FCF Hansen KOing Sato made it into the “2003 year in review” piece as did Ribeiro submitting Hansen.

(d) AFC has brought Anthony Rea (France) and Joakim Engberg (Sweden) to the States to fight. Rea most recently fought for the AFC belt where he was defeated by a Canadian.

(e) UK is part of the EU, so count UFC vets Mark Weir and Ian Freeman. I’m not that impressed with the UK up-and-comers so far but Rosi can probably tell you more.

(f) I really really really don’t like blowing my own horn but if you want more on these check out past issues of Full Contact Fighter for my reviews of M-1 in Moscow last October, M-1 in St. Petersburg last December, EVT 2 in Stockholm in April, AFC with Rea in the current issue, and AFC with Engberg and Rea a couple months ago. Also Loretta Hunt wrote the MFC “Russia vs. the USA” in last month’s issue. In March’s issue David West has a report from the UK on Cage Rage. I also suggest ADCC News of course for more of the same from me.

(g) Euro websites I pay attention to are Submission Fighting UK , Fight Back in Denmark  , MAN (Martial Arts News) in the Netherlands , and if you have a German translation option try . Executioner can probably tell you more. There are several magazines however I have only seen the ones in Russian so can’t comment on the others.

Gotta get back to deadlines…let me know what questions you have,
    KM

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?