World Grappling Championships

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

J
    Post subject: World Grappling Championships Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:54 pm

ANTALYA, TURKEY – The United States had a dominant performance at the historic first World Grappling Championships, sweeping all nine gold medals in the final event of the World Wrestling Games in Antalya, Turkey, September 9.

Capturing gold medals in the women’s division were Lisa Ward (Lacey, Wash./United Fight Team) at 48 kg/105.5 lbs., Felicia Oh (Tarzana, Calif./JJ Machado/BJMUTA) at 55 kg/121 lbs., Tara LaRosa (Woodstown, N.J./unattached) at 63 kg/138.75 lbs. and Valerie Worthington (Whittier, Calif./New Breed/Hollywood Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) at 72 kg/158.5 lbs.

Women’s

48 kg/105.5 lbs.
    Gold – Lisa Ward (United States)
    Silver – Lisa Newton (Great Britain)
    Bronze – Melcir Mirela (Romania)

55 kg/121 lbs.
    Gold – Felicia Oh (United States)
    Silver- Bahar Shahidi (United States)
    Bronze – Christina Rodriguez (United States)
    Bronze – Katherine Gifford (Great Britain)
    63 kg/138.75 lbs.
    Gold -Tara LaRosa (United States)
    Silver – Lloudmilla Soundovkova (Russia)
    Bronze – Rachel Whenathey (Great Britain)
    Bronze – Ama Mayke (Great Britain)

72 kg/158.5 lbs.
    Gold – Valerie Worthington (United States)
    Silver – Natalya Ivanova (Russia)
    Bronze – Bethany Harris (United States)

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:55 am
    Pro Fighter

It was a great tourny – really enjoyed it – looking forward to the next one.

Just to get the British girls names right in the under 63kg it’s Rachel Wheatley and Anna Mayne. 😀

If any of you have some good photos could you email them to Fighter girls or post links to them here? 😀

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:45 pm
    Pro Fighter

Congrats to all… 😀

Well done to all the UK girls – Anna, Rachel, Kathy and Lisa N, sounds like some great performances all round. 🙂 Just gutted i couldn’t be out there with you.

I have to add… Tara’s an inspiration. With all that she’s been through recently, to get straight back in there and perform as she did against tough opposition is a hell of an achievement.

flyguy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:06 am

As a brit I want to say great job to the British girls. In the US there is a college wrestling tradition and an active grappling scene where hundreds of competitors turn up. In the UK grappling ( or even BJJ) is a totally hidden sport. Just try running Google on say Tara LaRosa versus Rachel Wheatley, the lack of UK exposure is so clear to see.

So for British girls to get in to the medals is a major acheivement.

bjfoley
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:04 am

flyguy wrote:
    As a brit I want to say great job to the British girls. In the US there is a college wrestling tradition and an active grappling scene where hundreds of competitors turn up. In the UK grappling ( or even BJJ) is a totally hidden sport. Just try running Google on say Tara LaRosa versus Rachel Wheatley, the lack of UK exposure is so clear to see.

So for British girls to get in to the medals is a major acheivement.
    i managed to upload rachel v tara to you tube. sorry about the p*@S poor camera work on my behalf but still pretty good to watch all the same.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:27 am
    Pro Fighter

Excellent… great match to watch.

Rachel is super tough 🙂

bjfoley
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:23 am

Rosi wrote:
    Excellent… great match to watch.

Rachel is super tough 🙂
    Hi Rosi, thanks for your comment. we were really disappointed you couldn’t make it to Turkey. Was a great experience and a really good team spirit. A real pleasure to be part of i’m sure you’d have had a great time. It was great to catch up with Karl and meet Anna. I think she is going to be really really good with a bit more experience behing her. Rachel said she was really tough and moved well. Would be nice if you could come and train with us anytime your passing through.

Barry

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 am
    Pro Fighter

Hey Barry – I’d love to get to train with you guys again soon, we’ll have to try and sort something out.

Anna is definitely an up and coming talent to watch out for. 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?