Would you fight someone who was younger than 16 years old?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Anthea
    Post subject: Would you fight someone who was younger than 16 years old? PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:12 pm
    Pro Fighter

Just interested to find out people’s opinions- just from reading about the fight Debi saw with the 12 year old taking on someone a lot older than her (don’t know how old), it got me thinking about how I would feel if i was in that situation and i came to the conclusion that i don’t think i would accept the fight. I’m only 22, but i think i’d feel uncomfortable fighting anyone below 16, even knowing that at my weight range opponents are hard to find so i should take what i can get. I don’t think i’d be too proud of the fact that i just KO’d a 12 year old if it came to that!

Actually, i just remembered a guy in my club who was 19(ish) at the time he fought and won against a 15/16 year old and he still got hasseled about beating up a kid.

Personally I don’t think kids that young should be fighting full contact quite yet, but i guess it’s their choice (or their parents) but if they are, shouldn’t they just stick to people their own age? Do these sort of match ups happen frequently?

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:39 pm

I haven’t fought anyone younger, but I spar with a 12 yr old and a 16 yr old and it’s weird, particularly because I counsel kids their age at my internship… I don’t like it and I don’t think I would take a fight with someone younger. If you win, you look like a jerk… if you loose, some people will assume you’ve got no skill. I’m sure it’s the same dilemma men face when sparring or fighting women… and it sucks.

(Just as a side note, I’m not saying *I* would think I was bad if I lost to a young kid- I’m logical enough to know that just because a kid beats an adult or a woman beats a man, doesn’t mean that the adult or the man is “bad” at their sport… just that power isn’t everything)

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:13 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Honestly
    I felt very bad for Erin, and am not sure I would step in the ring with a 12 y/o. ( thank god IM too large) perhaps that is why Erin was not on her game, It seemed to me, like she was not agressive as I have seen her. IN her defense she drove all the way out from vegas to fight in cali, and had no idea who her opponant would be until right before the fight.

But some of the Thai fighters start when they are 4 years old Although this girl did not have a lot of power, she belonged in this compt. She was a lot better then teqnical wise then a lot of women I have seen. and they had on head gear and shin pads. I see karate and TKD kids that young and younger, so why not MT. Although I admit MT is much more brutal. I was amazed at the skill level of this child. And if she were older would belong on the pro scene soon.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:29 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

I totally agree with dl_angle.. To me this would be a no win situation if you do win are you really going to tell everyone that you just fought and beat a 12yo ????? and if you lose well, I am sure most will say you were just beat by a 12yo and not really see the whole picture about skill level

Chad

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:47 am

I agree with the most of you.
    But I know a guy from 15 years old, he is 20kg so around 10 pounds lighter than me.
    He did when he was 14 already thaiboxing fights against much older guys.

He is very fast and has lethal Bruce Lee kicks.
    Well I wouldn’t be ashamed to fight him and maybe lose, cause they guy trains every day and I’m only training once or twice a week.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:17 pm
    Pro Fighter

no. just, no. it wouldn’t feel right to me & i wouldn’t be able to preform. it’s hard enough training with the younger kids – they are getting real tough too. but fighting is different. i’m in a different place during competition.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:14 pm

Quote:
    Well I wouldn’t be ashamed to fight him and maybe lose, cause they guy trains every day and I’m only training once or twice a week.

It’s not about whether you’d be ashamed or not- hell, I wouldn’t be ashamed to lose to a kid… but if you win or lose, either way it’s not a “clean” win in the eyes of others.

This mom called into this radio station in my city and challenged one of the guys to race her daughter because her daughter’s one of top track contenders in the state… her daughter’s 12… this guy is like 20s… he sounded like a jerk because he kept saying he could beat her because she was a girl, 12, and also because he was really good at track when he was younger… anyhow he WON… (much to my surprise)… I know I was judging him throughout the whole thing and I know his coworkers were (on the radio)… I imagine pretty much everyone else was too. It’s not a clean win when everyone’s still trying to sort out their feelings afterwards…

On the same count, I wouldn’t want to fight a man because even if I was talented enough to beat him, it wouldn’t be accepted as win. It would be “Oh well he mustn’t have been very good” or “He let her win” etc. And if I lose, then it’s “See! Women AREN’T as strong/talented/etc as men!”

It’s a no win situation….

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:28 pm

I absolutely hate sparring with kids. Not that I dont like the kids..but I dont want to hurt someone’s kid. I am 34 and feel like a brute even if it is just sparring. I will “take a dive” when I have to partner with a kid. Mind you, the higher ranked kids at my dojo could hold their own…but come on…if I can pick you up and toss you like a ragdoll..I dont want to spar with you because I dont want to hurt you. I have control and use it, but something about being a mom and having to toss punches at a kid young enough to be my own kid just bugs me.

Voo Doo

On the same count, I wouldn’t want to fight a man because even if I was talented enough to beat him, it wouldn’t be accepted as win. It would be “Oh well he mustn’t have been very good” or “He let her win” etc. And if I lose, then it’s “See! Women AREN’T as strong/talented/etc as men!”

I do fight men…and you have to earn their respect. It doesnt matter if you are male or female…big or little….it is your training and skills. I have fought men and won..and lost..same as women. Even my sensei says that on the mat..there is no gender…you are a martial artist. I have the respect of the men that fight with me….one or two had issue with it until they faced me and discovered that they sorely underestimated me. My husband’s soldiers came to watch me fight ..because they didnt believe I could hold my own..well…needless to say….they come to me for advice on self defense techs n shit. My hubby’s commanding officer has even discussed me teaching him some tricks to teach the rest of the guys. Too bad he is a dick…or I would…lol. Male or female…its all about your training and your confidence.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:54 am
    Pro Fighter

There are several things that go into competition and sports. Age plays a factor in size of the person, skill, maturity, and strength.

For example, in highschool, I rose from junior varsity soccer to varsity with a few other players. There were two sisters, Sara and Cara, and they were the most skilled players on the either teams, even though Cara was two years younger than everyone, and Sara was in middle school still! Even though Sara was the most skilled, her father wouldn’t let her join varsity even though she made the team as a middle schooler because everyone was so much huger than her, and he was probably worried they would just run her over. At …I dunno, how old are you in 8th grade? She didn’t have the physical size to be with 17-18 year olds. So she stayed back in JV and worked on her skills.

If I was the size of serious young person who really wanted to compete and was mateur and matched me in power, I might, but I want my opponant to feel like they can handle it if I go hard. In general I feel funny about young kids don’t NHB or full contact stuff. I felt funny seeing like 6 year olds doing submission grappling and chokes and stuff, but I kind of got used to that…

powerhockey17
    Post subject: …PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:25 pm
    Instructor

In my first NHB fight I fought someone who was 18 and I was 25.. I had no idea how old my opponent was until I got to the event..

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:31 pm
    Instructor

I say that it all depends on the 16 year old! How big are they? How long have they trained? If they are fairly new to the sport and smaller than me….no. But if they’ve been training for the past 6 years, they have their parent’s consent, and have signed a waiver…..why not?

bindy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:59 am

Hey chick
    i just wanted to answer this cause our club has a huge amount of fighters that are under 16.
    Some of our best girls are about 14,and not a single older fighter would cut them any breaks as they would get toasted.
    We are a club with a membership of 180 by the way……..and its all female.
    Bindy

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:59 pm

that sounds great 🙂 Where are you located that you can have 180 students, nevermind 180 FEMALE students!?

bindy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:36 pm

We are placed in Auckland, New Zealand………yeah we have alot of fighters but we are the only club of our kind in this country so we have to fight our own team mates……
    Bindy

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:08 pm
    Pro Fighter

Man that’s a totally different topic having to fight your team mates! Do you guys go 100% against each other?

I suppose with such a big club it might be a bit different, but still it’s weird and surely it wouldn’t do much to help promote a happy family atmosphere in your gym eh? (although i guess not all clubs have this).

I don’t think i’d ever fight a team mate, i’m sure my trainer wouldn’t let me either. I dont’ think i’d even fight someone that even used to train at my club, it just wouldn’t feel right.

Anthea

erinjwebb
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:46 am

I was the one who fought the 14 year old at a smoker. I am 25 and this is the second time I’ve fought a girl this age. At first, it through me off guard and I wasn’t sure how I felt about it. But both girls wanted to fight and had beat all the girls their age and had no one else to fight, so they willingly entered the adult divisions. The girls were both talented and also weighed more than me. So weight was to their advantage and age was to mine. The other major thing is that these fights were both at the “smoker” level of muay thai so shin pads and head gear were worn. I think I may feel a little differently if it was a profight or an mma fight. But with all the protection it is quite dificult to hurt and/or tko the girl out.

TallahasseeLassie
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:20 am

In judo tournaments it’s totally normal to “fight up” a division for every kid that wins regularly. Every 13-14 year old that wins his own division regularly is expected to challenge themselves by entering their own weight class in the 15-16 division, same with 15 and 16 year olds. They all fight in the senior class to get more experience and to get a taste of what they are getting thrown into next year. I beat a 14 year old in the finals of the state championships a couple of years ago, and I didn’t cut her a bit of slack. Now she’s older, and better, and she beats me.

It’s true, it’s a no win situation for you, but it’s a can’t lose sitution for them, and that’s what keeps the younger players coming back to the sport. They are the future of the sport, these girls that have been training and living in this lifestyle since they were 7, not us dinosaurs that came to sport after we were already grown with jobs and kids and a hundred other distractions.

I’m not sure if I belong, but it’s nice to be here,
    Katie

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:01 pm
    Pro Fighter

Right so now i have to eat my words- i’ve just found out that my opponent for this weekend is only 15… 😳

I’m okay with it now that i’ve listened to all those pearls of wisdom from you all. 8) And also i’m not in as funny a situation as one of the girls at my club- she’s also down to fight a girl that’s 15, but she’s 30! I know she’ll feel really bad about it as she has kids and felt bad last time when she was fighting someone that was 18…

Anthea

wrestleone
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:59 am

no way jose

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:09 am
    Pro Fighter

I weigh 50-51kg, aged 24 and I’ve fought a 15 and 16 year old. The 15 year old was 10kg heavier than me and had been training for six years and I’d been training six months, she beat me on judges decision. The 16 year old I beat in the 2nd round, she was the same weight, same experience, same club but my fitness was better. It had nothing to do with age.

I think it definately depends on the person some 15 year olds are much more mature than some 25 year olds! If they want to fight and their coach agrees that they are ready then they should be given the opportunity.

At my weight I realise that I am probably going to have to fight younger people, especially as I started training MMA at 23, and had only done a self defence class in Aikido before that which i started at 22. So to match up experience and weight it can be difficult to match up age as well.

If I knew beforehand I had to fight a 12 or 13 year old it would make me feel uncomfortable because you do a lot of growing up between 12 and 15, but why should I assume that I’m a better fighter just because I’m older?

http://www.fightergirls.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?