Write an angry letter–Please read

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #13490

    Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

    strikesubmit
    Post subject: Write an angry letter–Please read Post Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:01 am

    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:23 pm
    Posts: 15
    Location: Chicago, IL
    I currently hold a subscription to Black Belt Magazine and have been reading it over the past few years. I am usually pretty impressed with it, I think the zine is pretty progressive as they have had interviews with women martial artists over the years from Diana Lee Inosanto to Lisa King. They talk about women’s self defense and feature products for women.

    That’s why as I was reading through this months issue, I was shocked and appalled by an article on page 60 by Bill Wallace entitled “Does MMA have a future”. I thought the article would be the typical article by purists who hate on MMA. But half-way through was shocked to see Wallace’s blatant smile in print.

    “As for women fighting in these promotions, I’m mostly against it. I was against women in kickboxing because I didn’t want to see two girls beat on each other. I like the competition aspect–there’s nothing wrong with that–but they ought to wear head gear or something. When a guy gets a broken nose, it’s a battlewound. Its something you can talk about when you’re older. If a girl gets a broken nose, all of a sudden she’s ugly. If she gets cauliflower ears, yuck!”

    “…but shows like Fight Girls look like a fantasy thing designed to give women the chance to come out and say, “I’m tough”…if a woman fights for 3 or 4 years and isn’t a really good competitor, its free advertising for plastic surgery.”

    Personally, having read articles from Wallace in the past I think he might have suffered one to many kicks in the head recently as the whole article is terribly written, and the subject matter jumps from one thing to another with no real rhyme or reason. Wallace has every right to his opinions, but what really pisses me off is the fact that Black Belt editors would just let this in.

    Needless to say I am writing a letter to the editor, and I would really love it if more people would do the same. When I receive next months issue in the mail I would love to be able to look at the Mailbox section and see a someone call Black Belt and Wallace out on their blatant smile!
    Top

    Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:04 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:26 am
    Posts: 532
    As long as it’s made clear that it’s only one person’s opinion, I don’t see the problem with a magazine publishing it. In fact, I think it’s healthy for a publication to have a wide range of points of view.

    To quote Voltaire: “I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.”
    Top

    kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:04 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:12 pm
    Posts: 243
    Location: Minnesota
    Superfoot is older than dirt…I’m not at all surprised by his smile opinion.
    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:37 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    Rosi wrote:
    As long as it’s made clear that it’s only one person’s opinion, I don’t see the problem with a magazine publishing it. In fact, I think it’s healthy for a publication to have a wide range of points of view.

    To quote Voltaire: “I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it.”
    Oslooskar <<<<Stands and gives a hearty round of applause to both Rosi and Francois.
    Top

    Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:11 pm

    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
    Posts: 327
    Julie Kezie broke her nose a couple times fighting and she doesn’t look ugly, unless you’re blind or you have a standard of beauty that is unattainable by mere mortals.

    Also you can treat cauliflower easily by regularly draining it with a syringe. A lot of fighters just choose to keep their cauliflower ears because they like to have “battle scars”.
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:04 pm

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    His wife probably still brings fried chicken into the living room and sets it on a tv dinner stand…cracks him open a beer…and places a napkin in his lap before retiring back to the kitchen to contemplate at what exact point in time she lost herself. J/K
    Unfortunately because of the gender-roles installed in most of us from an early age…beliefs like this mans are far too common in our society. This might not be a bad man…some might even consider him a gentleman. But obviously his understanding of women is novice at best. His only value of women seems to be her physical beauty. He leads us to believe that if a womans nose is broken..the woman is left useless without plastic surgery. The scary thing is…what if this man has a daughter? What limits will he hold to her strength, her intelligence, and her esteem?
    But on the positive side… gender-roles are becoming less and less defined as the years goes by. I doubt that Womens MMA will ever reach the place it deserves but we can see its at least growing and thats good.
    Top

    Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm

    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
    Posts: 327
    JDF wrote:
    His wife probably still brings fried chicken into the living room and sets it on a tv dinner stand…cracks him open a beer…and places a napkin in his lap before retiring back to the kitchen to contemplate at what exact point in time she lost herself. J/K
    Unfortunately because of the gender-roles installed in most of us from an early age…beliefs like this mans are far too common in our society. This might not be a bad man…some might even consider him a gentleman. But obviously his understanding of women is novice at best. His only value of women seems to be her physical beauty. He leads us to believe that if a womans nose is broken..the woman is left useless without plastic surgery. The scary thing is…what if this man has a daughter? What limits will he hold to her strength, her intelligence, and her esteem?
    But on the positive side… gender-roles are becoming less and less defined as the years goes by. I doubt that Womens MMA will ever reach the place it deserves but we can see its at least growing and thats good.
    Girls are always gonna be scrapping with another with or without female mma. With all the violent street fights that have been happening with girls slamming each other concrete sidewalks, having these girls wear gloves, fight on mat with a protective fence with rules against scratching and hairpulling and a ref to stop the fight is actually a step in the right direction.
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:11 am

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    I agree…sports is a wonderful way to get troubled teens or adults to apply themselves to something constructive instead of destructive. It builds character and discipline…and not to mention promotes good health.

    It’s a shame that Bill Wallace wrote such a ridiculous article…I know there are quite a few people who dont like to see girls get hurt and thats ok…but he took a bit far in my opinion and I found his article pigish. He said it was free advertizing for plastic surgery…meanwhile he’s probably popping smile like Skittles while his wife prays vehemently to God for a side-effect to take his miserable, flaccid, non-perfoming ass to the grave.
    Top

    GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am
    Posts: 1576
    Location: Baja Cali/Vegas
    lol…

    this is a joke based on myths. i grew up a total tomboy doing both, street and ring fighting along with various other sports. have had numerous broken bones, capped teeth, etc. and still look “okay”… 😛 headgear and glove protection are also myths. some of my worst injuries were actually in gymnastics and cheer stunting…try flipping on a balance beam, Billy boy…where if you smack your head or face is more like getting hit with a baseball bat. does that mean girls should not be gymnasts or cheerleaders either? puh-leez…

    btw…i remember hearing Bill lost one of his balls from his cup “protector” gettin kicked in a fight, maybe that has something to do with his smile viewpoints… 😯
    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    JDF wrote:
    while his wife prays vehemently to God for a side-effect to take his miserable, flaccid, non-perfoming ass to the grave.

    JDF wrote:
    he took a bit far in my opinion and I found his article pigish.
    It seems to me that you have a double standard; one for Bill Wallace and quite another for yourself.
    Top

    Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:40 pm

    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
    Posts: 327
    GFC wrote:
    lol…

    this is a joke based on myths. i grew up a total tomboy doing both, street and ring fighting along with various other sports. have had numerous broken bones, capped teeth, etc. and still look “okay”… 😛 headgear and glove protection are also myths. some of my worst injuries were actually in gymnastics and cheer stunting…try flipping on a balance beam, Billy boy…where if you smack your head or face is more like getting hit with a baseball bat. does that mean girls should not be gymnasts or cheerleaders either? puh-leez…
    Yeah, I think people need understand that both male and female athletes are always putting their bodies on the line every time they perform, even in non-contact and traditionally female sports.

    oslooskar wrote:
    JDF wrote:
    while his wife prays vehemently to God for a side-effect to take his miserable, flaccid, non-perfoming ass to the grave.

    JDF wrote:
    he took a bit far in my opinion and I found his article pigish.
    It seems to me that you have a double standard; one for Bill Wallace and quite another for yourself.
    I don’t we should be attacking a guy personally because of his views. I don’t this Wallace guy that well, but he does sound pretty smile and ignorant.
    Last edited by Sako on Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

    Top

    XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:40 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 10:15 am
    Posts: 236
    Location: Dayton, Ohio
    thats the same dude who was drunk at the arnold classic a few years ago. i had on a pair of gi pants that i had had randy couture autograph, and bill wallace picked up a sharpie and tried to sign my crotch. it was in very poor taste and superfoot about got punched in the grill. eff that dude.
    Top

    Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:43 pm

    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
    Posts: 327
    XcashXmoneyX wrote:
    thats the same dude who was drunk at the arnold classic a few years ago. i had on a pair of gi pants that i had had randy couture autograph, and bill wallace picked up a sharpie and tried to sign my crotch. it was in very poor taste and superfoot about got punched in the grill. eff that dude.
    Really? Then I guess this guy really is a goofy character, especially if you happen to be a guy.
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:35 pm

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    oslooskar wrote: It seems to me that you have a double standard; one for Bill Wallace and quite another for yourself.

    Perhaps…but i would never try to deprive women or any other group an opportunity to chase their dreams. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but when one makes such ignorant remarks as he did in his article thne I think their fair game for critizsm no matter how harsh. Would be like me saying “men shouldnt be allowed to fight MMA because if they injure their hand, then they wont be able to carry out the garbage..and would be of no more use to a woman.” But that would be ridiculous….they still have one working hand….j/k
    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    JDF wrote:
    Perhaps…but i would never try to deprive women or any other group an opportunity to chase their dreams.
    That’s not the point; the point is your failure to live up to your own implied standards.
    JDF wrote:
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but when one makes such ignorant remarks as he did in his article thne I think their fair game for critizsm no matter how harsh.
    Suit yourself! Personally, I would just put together a coherent refutation of Bill Wallace’s point of view while avoiding personal insult.
    Top

     

    cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:29 pm

    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:56 am
    Posts: 405
    Location: AUSTRALIA
    bill wallace is in a position to influence people through his articles in these magazines, there are alot of plebs reading his article that take note of his opinion like gospel………….
    he is entitled to his opinion ofcourse, but his opinion SUCKS in this case! 😆

    Women’s mma rules!
    thats fine, he can miss out watching the most exciting fights.

    over the years, I have had my teeth knocked out, nose broken a number of times, etc…….and I have had them fixed each time.

    I’ve always had to fight to do martial arts, not being accepted, etc, opinions like bill wallaces only makes me stronger.

    good on you girls, keep training, I’m your fan!
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:14 am

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    oslooskar wrote:

    That’s not the point; the point is your failure to live up to your own implied standards.

    lol…I fail to see your point. I dont think my comments towards Wallace were ‘pigish, they were reflections of contempt i have for the his ideas in the article he wrote that is being discussed on this thread…and yes my reflections are personal because i took his article personal. I dont think its necessarily wrong for men not to want to watch women fight or get hurt…thats understandable considering how gender-roles has been strongly engrained in us since children, but this weiner (Wallace) attacked women in his article. he obviously doesnt mind seeing women get hurt…cause Im sure that article has hurt plenty. He is a pig.
    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:24 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    JDF wrote:
    this weiner (Wallace) attacked women in his article.
    Where, exactly, did he do that in his article?
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:59 am

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    JDF wrote:
    this weiner (Wallace) attacked women in his article.

    oslooskar wrote:

    Where, exactly, did he do that in his article?

    For one he stated:

    “…but shows like Fight Girls look like a fantasy thing designed to give women the chance to come out and say, “I’m tough”…if a woman fights for 3 or 4 years and isn’t a really good competitor, its free advertising for plastic surgery.”

    So…you didnt find this smile? You got some tuff skin girl. Im sorry but I find this article an attack on womens MMA. People read the magazine…doesnt mean everyone that reads it will agree with him…but what about young boys that might be reading it?…hell of a way to keep that ball a rollin dont ya think? Or young girls starting out in martial arts that might read the magazine?…bet Wallace is a voice of encouragement for them now aint he? What he says in the article is destructive on some level Im sure. He might be an ok guy who maybe chose a few bad sentences…I dunno, but Im offended, my friends are offended, and other members here are offended.

    Sometimes I am sarcastic when getting my view across…its just how I express my self. oslooskar…you accused me of having a double standard? come on now? if I made the statements he made… I would go waller in a mud-puddle…cause Id be a pig. if he’s a friend of yours Im sorry…no disrespect to you …but Im sure he had to have expected for people to be upset about it. If he didnt then he really thinks big of himself. “I can fight MMA cause Im a man..me man…me man. It just gets my underdrawers all twisted up in a bunch.
    Top

    Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:52 am

    Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm
    Posts: 327
    JDF wrote:
    JDF wrote:
    this weiner (Wallace) attacked women in his article.

    oslooskar wrote:

    Where, exactly, did he do that in his article?

    For one he stated:

    “…but shows like Fight Girls look like a fantasy thing designed to give women the chance to come out and say, “I’m tough”…if a woman fights for 3 or 4 years and isn’t a really good competitor, its free advertising for plastic surgery.”

    So…you didnt find this smile? You got some tuff skin girl. Im sorry but I find this article an attack on womens MMA. People read the magazine…doesnt mean everyone that reads it will agree with him…but what about young boys that might be reading it?…hell of a way to keep that ball a rollin dont ya think? Or young girls starting out in martial arts that might read the magazine?…bet Wallace is a voice of encouragement for them now aint he? What he says in the article is destructive on some level Im sure. He might be an ok guy who maybe chose a few bad sentences…I dunno, but Im offended, my friends are offended, and other members here are offended.

    Sometimes I am sarcastic when getting my view across…its just how I express my self. oslooskar…you accused me of having a double standard? come on now? if I made the statements he made… I would go waller in a mud-puddle…cause Id be a pig. if he’s a friend of yours Im sorry…no disrespect to you …but Im sure he had to have expected for people to be upset about it. If he didnt then he really thinks big of himself. “I can fight MMA cause Im a man..me man…me man. It just gets my underdrawers all twisted up in a bunch.
    I think he would make best of friends with Tom Leykis if he hasn’t already.
    Top

    GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:01 am
    Posts: 1576
    Location: Baja Cali/Vegas
    everyone is entitled to their opinions. the problem is when opinions are based on incorrect bullshit, and then those individuals try to push their warped views on other people. Wallace is in an influential position making clearly disrespectful and smile comments in a public arena. literally thousands of females have been fighting for decades, and from the top level female fighters on down are still just as “attractive” as any other group of females athlete or otherwise…

    there are various extreme sports which have just as much (or more) risk of injury. and perhaps more than any other sport or occupation there are SO many positives and empowerment issues for women to get/be involved in Martial Artist and combat that this kind of total chauvinist crap coming from anyone of his caliber in the sport is pathetic, same as Dana’s…and, for making the choice to blather such nonsense deserves whatever he gets in return…you get what you give. the initiator of an action is the guilty one not the reactor. if you don’t like something it’s very simple, don’t watch it…

    but, don’t spread bullshit to try and influence others or you are then opening yourself up to get called on it…
    Last edited by GFC on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:35 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    JDF wrote:
    For one he stated:

    “…but shows like Fight Girls look like a fantasy thing designed to give women the chance to come out and say, “I’m tough”…if a woman fights for 3 or 4 years and isn’t a really good competitor, its free advertising for plastic surgery.”
    Sorry, but the opinion expressed above does not constitute an attack on women.

    JDF wrote:
    if he’s a friend of yours Im sorry…no disrespect to you
    Thanks, but I’ve never met the man nor had any dealings with him.

    JDF wrote:
    It just gets my underdrawers all twisted up in a bunch.
    Well then I suppose if ranting and name-calling make you feel better then no harm done. Besides, I’m sure there are plenty of women out there in the world of martial arts who will put together a constructive rebuttal of Wallace’s article.
    Top

    kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:37 am
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:12 pm
    Posts: 243
    Location: Minnesota
    “men shouldnt be allowed to fight MMA because if they injure their hand, then they wont be able to carry out the garbage..and would be of no more use to a woman.” 😆
    LMAO! Do you mind if I use this one JDF? Thats hilarious…and good points about other more “feminine” women’s sports being ridiculously brutal. Not long ago a girl in one of my classes who coaches women’s figure skating was telling me about two girls who collided on the ice. One girl broke her nose while the other had her calf muscle sliced so severely by the first girl’s skate that only 20% of it remained in tact. Youch!
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:43 am

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    well oslooskar…to me it says that women are useless if they receive an injury that might make them less attractive to men…I see that as an attack on women in general and more so to female fighters. And Ive made plenty of valid points as well as some exxagerating venting. Im not a professional reporter…just a regular human being with my own feelings and opinions…I expressed my views on him and his article with a lil color…apparantly you only want black and white.
    Last edited by JDF on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:15 am
    Posts: 1079
    Location: La Honda, California
    GFC wrote:
    literally thousands of females have been fighting for decades, and from the top level female fighters on down are still just as “attractive” as any other group of females athlete or otherwise…
    GFC, that is indeed a valid point which should be part of any rebuttal letter to Black Belt Magazine.
    Top

    JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:52 am

    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:14 pm
    Posts: 196
    lol…feel free to use that as much as you want Kaitlin 😀
    Top

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?