It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 am 
Fightergirls elite poster

Didnt get enough Audrey in the interveiw done by Danielle Hobeika?

I sure didn't (Actually don't think I could ever get enough of Audrey.)

Here is a Interveiw from ROF:

How did you get into MMA?

I’ve been wrestling for about 14 years and actually started doing some light cross-training with MMA about 3 years ago while I was still wrestling. After I retired from wrestling competition, I kept active working out with Team Colon MMA but I really wasn’t thinking about fighting, I was just having fun learning something new. Next thing I knew Coach Steve had me in the cage! There’s something about the sport that’s addictive. There’s so much to learn and I just love the challenge of competing.

I had a chance to interview Michelle (your opponent at ROF 38) and she was very excited about the match, and very complimentary about you. Do you find there is usually a high level of respect among MMA fighters, and is it even higher among female MMA fighters?

Well I think that in every sport respect is a key aspect. If nothing else, I think you have to respect the amount of hard work and sacrifice that every athlete puts into his or her craft. With MMA especially the training is extremely difficult and the (financial) payoff isn’t great, so there’s a lot of us who train and fight just for love of the game and challenge; you have to respect that. I don’t know if the level of respect is any higher among female MMA fighters, but I do think there’s another dimension added because we recognize that it takes just a little something extra to be a female in MMA. It’s a small community and for the most part everyone is very supportive of each other. On a more practical note, not respecting your opponent’s skills is tantamount to underestimating their skills, and that can be a very costly mistake.

What was it like wrestling on the men’s team at Princeton?

I was very lucky and had an amazing coach and team. Having a female on the team was a first for them and a lot of it we made up as we went along, but they were very willing to work with me. For the first three years, I trained with the men’s team, but competed on the women’s open circuit. It was tricky at times because since our competition schedules were different, we needed to peak at different times. The hardest part was that I competed in freestyle wrestling, the Olympic style, which is different from folk style wrestling, the collegiate style, so technique-wise, we weren’t always on the same page. I also wrestled mostly at 112 lbs and the lightest men’s weight is 125 lbs, so it was definitely very challenging keeping up with the guys. My senior year, I actually ended up wrestling in the 125 lbs. men’s varsity spot. Interestingly enough, that solved a lot of the logistic problems, not that it didn’t create a couple too. Of course, not everybody loved the idea and I may have met some people along the way that were less tolerant than others, but I also received an incredible amount of support from some unexpected sources. I wouldn’t trade the experience for anything else. I’m still very close to a lot of Princeton wrestlers. In fact, I met up with a lot of them this past weekend, and it’s a great feeling to know that they’re all in my corner!

We all know about your strong wrestling, are you the least bit worried about any possible stand up action?

I’m obviously very biased, but I really do think that wrestling is the best background for MMA. I am confident in my ability to dictate where the fight will take place. That being said, I’ve been working very hard on my standup and feel very comfortable on my feet. Wrestling is my greatest strength, but it isn’t my only one. I think that I might just surprise some people.

What can fans expect from this fight?

A lot of action. Michelle is in phenomenal shape so I think it’s safe to say that this will be a fast-paced barn-burner.

I’ve gotta ask, a Canadian living in Chicago…what are your thoughts on the Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup?

I love it! 2 more to go! I was born and raised in Toronto so the Maple Leafs will always be my first love, but I’ve been living in America for nine years now and Chicago for three. I’ve adopted both the city and the team for my own. Go Blackhawks!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]