It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:15 pm 

Hi all, Im in my last year of study at Leeds Met university and I am currently working on my dissertation.

I have an active interest in combat sports (boxing specifically) and my dissertation is about women who participate in a variety of combat sports and the social and cultural hurdles they have to overcome in what is traditionally a male dominated field of sport. The dissertation title at the moment is ‘Gender discrimination and general social/cultural attitudes towards women in combat sports’.

I chose this dissertation topic because I feel that in the past, the subject of female fighters has been met with much negativity, however I believe that things are changing slowly and the popularity of female MMA fighters such as Gina Carano, and also the recent decision to include female boxing in the Olympics, are a testament to the shifting social/cultural attitudes. I believe (and hope) this dissertation can provide a valuable insight into the world of female fighters.

Originally I was planning to create a simple questionnaire and post it in several different forums dedicated to female fighters and then analyse the results, but instead I decided that a more personal approach would be much more constructive as it would give a more ‘real’ account of the experiences of female fighters.

Having said that, I was wondering if any women fighters would be kind enough to share their experiences with me? You can choose to share as little or as much as you like, a few sentences or an entire essay is fine by me, it is completely up to you what, and how much you’d like to share. All contributions big or small are very much appreciated!

Every account will be completely anonymous when it is written up into the dissertation, and if you prefer, you can PM me instead of posting it in the thread. One thing I do ask however, is that you tell me which specific sport or martial art you participate in, and what level you are currently at, whether you are a beginner that is just getting into a combat sport, or a seasoned amateur/professional fighter with several bouts.

Even if you just train for fitness or for fun, any contributions will be helpful! This is optional though, so if for any reason you don’t feel comfortable disclosing that information that is fine also.

The question I would like to pose is pretty broad on purpose, so it’s really up to you what you’d like to talk about, anyway here it is:
As a female who participates in combat sports, have you ever experienced discrimination or prejudices due to your gender? Also do you feel that combat sports are becoming increasingly popular amongst women as a choice of sport?

If you have any questions at all please feel free to ask them!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]