Home | DEBIPURCELL.COM | SHOP.FIGHTERGIRLS.COM Cart | Contact   
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:57 pm 
Fightergirls elite poster

There is a lot more to the story too, but am not at liberty to discuss. But after the Tweet fight, I am sure Ronda will be getting her Strikeforce match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:49 pm 

somewhereinvegas wrote:
There is a lot more to the story too, but am not at liberty to discuss. But after the Tweet fight, I am sure Ronda will be getting her Strikeforce match.

Hmm, seems like you're counting Charmaine out before the fight even happens. My understanding is that the winner of this fight is likely to get the contract offer, so it's not necessarily going to be Ronda who gets it. At least, not right away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:58 pm 

Ronda Rousey just defeated Charmaine Tweet via arm bar submission in 49th second of 1st round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:42 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:50 pm 

WOW! That was fast. Not so Sweet Tweet got beat. Thanks for the link, Fonz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:40 am 

Im impressed by her aggressiveness and that was a slick transition to arm bar. basic but real quick and slick.

Not sure about how she handles punches though. She needs to get more comfortable in her stand up. Not throwing, but taking a punch.

If in the same weight class, I think a fighter like Sarah Kaufman would give her a hard time bc of her striking and takedown defense.

IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:15 am 

BrianNYC wrote:
... She needs to get more comfortable in her stand up. Not throwing, but taking a punch... IMHO

When you consider the current development of women's mma, I don't think she "needs" to do anything different. At this point she is able to cancel out any striker by closing the distance and letting the judo takeover. Once she puts her hands on you, you are going down, you are going to get mounted, you will be forced to expose your arm(s) in order to defend from gnp and you are going to get arm-barred. Simple as that. Only chance a pure striker has against her is to knock her out before she closes the distance and clinches or pins against the fence (like she did Tweet). I don't know if such sluggers even exist in women's mma.

So far no one has come even close to taking Rousey out of her (judo) comfort zone. In my view the opponent that would most likely challenge Rousey would be an elite grappler (ala McMann) who may be harder to take down. The girls that train "grappling" and take downs for a year or two in mma gyms are at novice level compared to an olympic judo medalist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:16 am 

This is a huge problem. The athletic commissions won't allow Ronda to face anyone at her skill level because most of those fighters are deemed as too experienced. They are only looking at numbers and they are not looking at Ronda's skill level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:45 am 

frankp316 wrote:
This is a huge problem. The athletic commissions won't allow Ronda to face anyone at her skill level because most of those fighters are deemed as too experienced. They are only looking at numbers and they are not looking at Ronda's skill level.

im sure she will be presented with some tougher fighters in Strikeforce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:04 pm 

judoka27 wrote:
BrianNYC wrote:
... She needs to get more comfortable in her stand up. Not throwing, but taking a punch... IMHO

When you consider the current development of women's mma, I don't think she "needs" to do anything different. At this point she is able to cancel out any striker by closing the distance and letting the judo takeover. Once she puts her hands on you, you are going down, you are going to get mounted, you will be forced to expose your arm(s) in order to defend from gnp and you are going to get arm-barred. Simple as that. Only chance a pure striker has against her is to knock her out before she closes the distance and clinches or pins against the fence (like she did Tweet). I don't know if such sluggers even exist in women's mma.

So far no one has come even close to taking Rousey out of her (judo) comfort zone. In my view the opponent that would most likely challenge Rousey would be an elite grappler (ala McMann) who may be harder to take down. The girls that train "grappling" and take downs for a year or two in mma gyms are at novice level compared to an olympic judo medalist.

Just my opinion, no need to rush to her defense. While I think she is very talented and I am a fan of hers, I dont think anything in MMA is simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am 

With all of the talking that she does i hope she is able to continue to back it up. I just saw the stare down pictures on facebook and it looks like she has toned up some, not carrying around quite the spare tire that she used to. I thought this fight was going to be at 140, but i saw that they both weighed in at 146? Isn't D usually a 135?
You guys think this one will go the distance?
Did Frank get kicked?
Frank still sucks..........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:09 pm 

Quote:
You guys think this one will go the distance?

Highly unlikely...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:49 pm 

Ronda wins by armbar, and it's yet another lightning quick one.

Not sure of the exact time, but early in the first round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:12 pm 

Cugel wrote:
Ronda wins by armbar, and it's yet another lightning quick one.

Not sure of the exact time, but early in the first round.

The fight ended in under 25 seconds.

Some controversy though: Rousey attacked with what looked like a flying arm bar, and applied pressure. Dalelio yelled/screamed causing Rousey to immediately release pressure. Rousey at that point told referee that Dalelio tapped. The ref stopped the fight. Dalelio then protested saying she did not tap. Apparently, according to the rules, what occurred is something they call a "verbal tap" (if you scream as if in pain during grappling, it is considered the same as tapping out).

Unfortunately not very entertaining fight. I'm ok with an early submission, but it would have been much better without the controversy. The crowd booed when ref stopped the fight.
This is a good result for Rousey who now stands at 3-0-0 pro (and 3-0-0 amateur). Unfortunately it does not do much for promotion of women's MMA in general. (It is unlikely Dana White was impressed with this fight).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:56 pm 

judoka27 wrote:

Unfortunately not very entertaining fight.

There's been a lot of discussion of this fight in the hours since, but this is the first time I've heard someone say it wasn't entertaining...

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next