Home | DEBIPURCELL.COM | SHOP.FIGHTERGIRLS.COM Cart | Contact   
It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:10 am 
Fightergirls elite poster

From Zach Arnold at Fight Opinion based on a Liz Carmouche radio interview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:40 pm 

I really could NOT care less what Liz Carmouche’s smile orientation is and for the life of me I don’t know why she felt compelled to reveal it. As far as I’m concerned a person’s smile preferences, and s-e-x-life, are his/her private life and need not be disclosed to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:44 pm 

Her saying that would be no different than someone saying that their husband or wife have been really supportive and they couldn't do it without them. It shouldn't even get a second look in the world we live in today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:11 am 

GHP wrote:
Her saying that would be no different than someone saying that their husband or wife have been really supportive and they couldn't do it without them. It shouldn't even get a second look in the world we live in today.

Exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:27 am 

oslooskar wrote:
I really could NOT care less what Liz Carmouche’s smile orientation is and for the life of me I don’t know why she felt compelled to reveal it. As far as I’m concerned a person’s smile preferences, and s-e-x-life, are his/her private life and need not be disclosed to anyone.

So, an individual should never mention their significant other in a conversation ever, correct? She was asked about her motivation and she said it was her girlfriend who kept her focused on training and that she owed her everything. Please tell me what is wrong with her answer and why someone should never mention their husband, wife, girlfriend, or boyfriend or do anything to publicly indicate their smile orientation. If you flirt, hold hands, or kiss in public, you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. If you talk about your lover or spouse or a crush in public then you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. If you admit that you think either a celebrity or someone you know personally is "cute" or "hot" to someone else in public you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. There is nothing wrong when a smile does any of those things, so why the hell should a smile be held to a different standard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:36 am 

Chrom1um wrote:
So, an individual should never mention their significant other in a conversation ever, correct? She was asked about her motivation and she said it was her girlfriend who kept her focused on training and that she owed her everything. Please tell me what is wrong with her answer and why someone should never mention their husband, wife, girlfriend, or boyfriend or do anything to publicly indicate their smile orientation. If you flirt, hold hands, or kiss in public, you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. If you talk about your lover or spouse or a crush in public then you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. If you admit that you think either a celebrity or someone you know personally is "cute" or "hot" to someone else in public you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. There is nothing wrong when a smile does any of those things, so why the hell should a smile be held to a different standard?

Perhaps you have a problem with reading comprehension. Please reread the article and then reread what I wrote. If you still don’t understand why I wrote what I did then I will be more than happy to explain it to you in great detail. Please do not hesitate to let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 pm 

oslooskar wrote:
Perhaps you have a problem with reading comprehension. Please reread the article and then reread what I wrote. If you still don’t understand why I wrote what I did then I will be more than happy to explain it to you in great detail. Please do not hesitate to let me know.

I read it perfectly fine. My response was to this part:
oslooskar wrote:
for the life of me I don’t know why she felt compelled to reveal it.

Did you even listen to the interview? If you did perhaps you can answer my earlier question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 pm 

Chrom1um wrote:
So, an individual should never mention their significant other in a conversation ever, correct?

Why would you be asking me such question?

Chrom1um wrote:
She was asked about her motivation and she said it was her girlfriend who kept her focused on training and that she owed her everything. Please tell me what is wrong with her answer and why someone should never mention their husband, wife, girlfriend, or boyfriend or do anything to publicly indicate their smile orientation.

I don’t see anything wrong with her answer and I really don’t know why you seem to think I feel that a particular person should never mention their significant other, or refrain from doing anything in public to indicate their smile orientation.

Chrom1um wrote:
If you flirt, hold hands, or kiss in public, you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. If you talk about your lover or spouse or a crush in public then you are publicly indicating your smile orientation. If you admit that you think either a celebrity or someone you know personally is "cute" or "hot" to someone else in public you are publicly indicating your smile orientation.

I agree, but I don’t know why you’re telling me this.

Chrom1um wrote:
There is nothing wrong when a smile does any of those things, so why the hell should a smile be held to a different standard?

That’s exactly my point. smile shouldn’t be held to a different standard than anyone else because they have the very same basic right to privacy as we all do. Therefore, I’m at a loss to understand Miss Carmouche’s actions because, in my opinion, she did not just reveal her smile orientation she felt COMPELLED to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:27 pm 

oslooskar wrote:
Therefore, I’m at a loss to understand Miss Carmouche’s actions because, in my opinion, she did not just reveal her smile orientation she felt COMPELLED to do so.

Okay, I think this is where we diverge. I guess not worth raging about, but I didn't get that vibe at all. She was asked about her training and she gave a response very similar to "my husband/wife keeps me in line, makes sure I'm not slacking off and playing with my cats all day," as others in this thread have pointed out. She could have used gender-neutral terms or evaded talking about the role her girlfriend plays in her training entirely, but why tread on eggshells like that? She shouldn't have to. It's not like she arranged for the interview and hinted at a very big announcement or something.

Furthermore, even if she had meant to bring up her smile intentionally, I don't see why it's a big deal. If she wanted to vaguely choose the terms under which she comes out of the closet, I can't say I have a problem with that. This is something she was forced to publicly hide as a former Marine and current reservist up until Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed just this year. It's better for her to be able to come out of the closet talking about the positive role her significant other plays in her life in an interview than it would be for her to have to come out by publicly responding to rumors popping up on twitter or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:27 am 

It's not a big deal to most. I think what Zach was wondering about was if smile orientation is a big deal to Zuffa management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:50 am 

Chrom1um wrote:
I guess not worth raging about, but I didn't get that vibe at all.

Well, after reading the following by Miss Carmouche, which reads like a confession, I did get that vibe.

“And I don’t want to be the type of fighter who is hiding parts of myself that eventually come out and come to surprise. I want to be open and honest with my fans. I want to be open and honest with everybody so they know who I am and at no point is that going to throw anybody off or disgust them or just anything, I don’t want any negative repercussions for who I am. “

Chrom1um wrote:
Furthermore, even if she had meant to bring up her smile intentionally, I don't see why it's a big deal.

GOOD GRIEF! It isn’t a BIG DEAL if that’s what she really wanted to do. However, in my opinion, it becomes a BIG DEAL when one feels compelled to reveal his/her smile orientation because he or she fears possible “negative repercussionsâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:42 pm 

Hey everyone! Long time reader here, first time poster. Maybe people have been questioning her or giving her grief about it. Maybe she's sending a message to another fighter(s). In any case, I'm willing to bet that lesbians are prevalent in women's mma so people may as well get used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:46 pm 

oslooskar wrote:
Chrom1um wrote:
I guess not worth raging about, but I didn't get that vibe at all.

Well, after reading the following by Miss Carmouche, which reads like a confession, I did get that vibe.

“And I don’t want to be the type of fighter who is hiding parts of myself that eventually come out and come to surprise. I want to be open and honest with my fans. I want to be open and honest with everybody so they know who I am and at no point is that going to throw anybody off or disgust them or just anything, I don’t want any negative repercussions for who I am. “

That was much later in the interview when she was asked about being a gay fighter. Now wanting to hide =/= announcing it when not asked to.

oslooskar wrote:
Chrom1um wrote:
Furthermore, even if she had meant to bring up her smile intentionally, I don't see why it's a big deal.

GOOD GRIEF! It isn’t a BIG DEAL if that’s what she really wanted to do. However, in my opinion, it becomes a BIG DEAL when one feels compelled to reveal his/her smile orientation because he or she fears possible “negative repercussionsâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:55 pm 

Daveman wrote:
Hey everyone! Long time reader here, first time poster. Maybe people have been questioning her or giving her grief about it. Maybe she's sending a message to another fighter(s). In any case, I'm willing to bet that lesbians are prevalent in women's mma so people may as well get used to it.

I haven't seen anyone giving Liz Carmouche grief about it. The argument I've been having with olooskar is just about the method she chose to reveal it.

This is 2011 and I don't think many people outside of a few rednecks or adolescent sherdoggers care. Honestly I would guess Zuffa management doesn't care either. For all their similarities, Dana White is not Vince McMahon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm 

Easy on the Redneck stereotyping...............

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next