Home | DEBIPURCELL.COM | SHOP.FIGHTERGIRLS.COM Cart | Contact   
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 am 

Sara chose to fight Tonya where she was most comfortable. She arguably dominated all but 12-15 seconds of a 15 minute fight with a top ranked fighter who is closest to in skill to Sara's biggest advantage- wrestling.

By Sara's third professional fight, she has already beaten the previous toughest wrestler in wmma (Tonya, if someone says Taint you know nothing about the wrestling community), she placed second in Abu Dhabi losing to a "two time champ?"(-not sure how many times Penny won it) on points, and she beat the Strikeforce champion in a grappling tournement several months after delivering a baby and starting her bjj training.

She is progressing and learning just like any other fighter, and will eventually use all her offense in competition. However, I still believe if you threw her to the dogs tonight, she would still win, dominate, and yes... it would probably be "boring".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:41 am 

sbasrof, please elaborate. I would love to hear what you think about her weak spots.

It still amazes me just how far wrestling can go in mma. After watching the fights on hdnet and then strikeforce lastnight it just reinforces it. Tyrone Woodley and Miesha both won big fights and they pretty much did so completely off of takedowns and control on the ground. Even Kennedy secured the fight with wrestling skills, pretty much as long as you can take a punch and not get submitted a wrestler is going to win everytime. Those wrestlers showed just how easily they can control someone on the ground as well. Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 pm 

GHP wrote:
sbasrof, please elaborate. I would love to hear what you think about her weak spots.

Her stand up for one. No head movement, flat footed, etc etc.
On the ground she didn't even try to get out of half-guard. I have no idea why.
Also, scoring takedowns is one thing, but if there is a takedown, and the fighter ends up in their opponents guard, and can't land anything, the judges shouldn't be scoring the takedown. IMO anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 pm 

GHP wrote:
It still amazes me just how far wrestling can go in mma. After watching the fights on hdnet and then strikeforce lastnight it just reinforces it. Tyrone Woodley and Miesha both won big fights and they pretty much did so completely off of takedowns and control on the ground. Even Kennedy secured the fight with wrestling skills, pretty much as long as you can take a punch and not get submitted a wrestler is going to win everytime. Those wrestlers showed just how easily they can control someone on the ground as well. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that, as others have stated in the past, there can be legitimate flaws in the judging criteria and the judges who use this.
For instance a fighter with a wrestling can look impressive taking an opponent down and keeping him / her there but so often not enough notice is taken
in what the fighter on the bottom is doing.

Credit to Miesha Tate for winning title but, as round #2 showed, wrestling isn't the be all and end all...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:23 pm 

I agree with no movement on the feet for sure, however we really didn't get to see much since as soon as Tonya showed an opening she was taken down. I don't believe that Tonya landed a single punch except for when McMann had the leg in the air. I think it was difficult for her to get out of half gaurd with Tonya desperately holding on to the head and arm the whole time, i thought she was going to get mount two different times but Tonya did a good job of keeping her knee in, but i don't really understand why she didn't even attempt to sweep or shrimp at all, she pretty much stayed flat on her back and held on the whole time.

The scoring is about control and damage, getting a takedown and then controling the opponent on the ground is always going to score more points than getting taken down and holding on in gaurd. Now if you get taken down and then attempt to sweep or submit it is an entire different story. Other than McMann putting herself in a reverse triangle while i assume she was going for a north south, Tonya really didn't do anything but hold on. Meisha did a great job pretty much doing the same thing, looking for the takedown off of her opponents pressure and then controling when getting to the mat, she got passed the gaurd is pretty much the only difference. This also makes things interesting to me because i watched Meisha and McManns grappling match and Sara took her down easily and then passed her gaurd multiple times, makes me think that Sara was a little nervous or just didn't completely open up against Tonya, or Tonya is a lot better on the ground than i have given her credit for. Wrestling absolutely is not the end all in MMA but if there is one thing that can really change your level or allow you to compete with the best there is i would say it is pretty obviously wrestling. Rosi just said it herself in the other thread that Marloes just plain out got out wrestled, through wrestling Meisha was able to take away pretty much all of Marloes' offense, just as Sara took away all of Tonya's offense. Just my take on everything, which i am sure everyone is getting sick of haha......i know i have Sara McMann goggles on and will always be biased towards her! I guess that is what being a fan is all about.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:33 pm 

oslooskar wrote:
ChrisV wrote:
Yea Amanda is at 135 lbs now. She will be fighting on the Sept 23rd card or in Nov. It depends who they can find to fight her.

That shouldn’t be too difficult if they’re willing to pay Roxanne Modafferi’s airfare.

k

Last edited by ChrisV on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:45 pm 

Come on now, why you gotta keep information like that to yourself? haha. Sara is already signed with Proelite so i don't see her fighting in SF until after her 3 fights with PE. Hopefully she can get some more experience and we will get to see the hands fly. I think that 135 is going to be a better fit for Amanda, atleast as far as being the best fighter she can be goes. She has looked awfully soft at 145!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:52 pm 

ChrisV wrote:
oslooskar wrote:
ChrisV wrote:
Yea Amanda is at 135 lbs now. She will be fighting on the Sept 23rd card or in Nov. It depends who they can find to fight her.

That shouldn’t be too difficult if they’re willing to pay Roxanne Modafferi’s airfare.

Im gonna throw name's out there not Roxanne but you would be surprised on who turned are signed to SF and turned down fights with Amanda. I do give props to Alexis Davis. She was ready to step up and fight Amanda on the June card. She didnt care about money or Amanda she just wanted to fight in SF. I cant say the same for some of the other so called top 135lbers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:33 am 

GHP wrote:
The scoring is about control and damage, getting a takedown and then controling the opponent on the ground is always going to score more points than getting taken down and holding on in gaurd. Now if you get taken down and then attempt to sweep or submit it is an entire different story. Meisha did a great job pretty much doing the same thing, looking for the takedown off of her opponents pressure and then controling when getting to the mat, she got passed the gaurd is pretty much the only difference. Wrestling absolutely is not the end all in MMA but if there is one thing that can really change your level or allow you to compete with the best there is i would say it is pretty obviously wrestling. Rosi just said it herself in the other thread that Marloes just plain out got out wrestled, through wrestling Meisha was able to take away pretty much all of Marloes' offense

Post edited as I can't really comment on fights I haven't seen (Evinger vs McMann)...

If you think Meisha took away "pretty much all of Marloes' offence", I think you should go back and watch round two again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:54 am 

That is why i said "pretty much". She gave up her back while trying to get the takedown. Out of the 3 and a half rounds fought, Meisha did a very good job of limiting Marloes' offense with her wrestling skill. Is that better?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5