Home | DEBIPURCELL.COM | SHOP.FIGHTERGIRLS.COM Cart | Contact   
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Haywire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 am 
Fightergirls elite poster

I was invited to the AFI Fest in Hollywood and I watched Haywire. I have been very skeptical about the film in the past for various reasons. Yet, I have to admit, the movie is good. Not great. But entertaining, good action, very good camera work and editing. Gina carries the movie well and has a lot of support throughout the movie by the "big names". I think it is more a surprise at how well she does in the movie more than she was born to act. She has some work to do but she "has promise" as many Hollywood people were mentioning after the movie. From what I was told, she has either agreed to or is being considered for another movie shortly (info not confirmed though).

I believe the movie will do well bc of the action and Gina. Better than I expected. I doubt it is a mega hit, but one never knows. It is worth seeing though.

So, Frank, if you are still reading this site, Im eating my hat for being so negative on the film (note: negative on the film, not on Gina). Your girl Gina pulled it off.

As for Gina, questions will abound if/when she fights again after the movie and all the time demands of promoting the movie. If she fights again, she should/will demand big $$$$. Good for her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:14 pm 

I read the script and it’s the same old cheesy plot. Agent X discovers that he has been double-crossed by someone at the top. Agent X then has to find out who conspired against him while annihilating a small army of C.I.A. goons who have been sent to kill him. “The Bourne Identity” is a classic example of what I mean.

Now, that having been said, I intend see Haywire when it comes out ONLY because I want to see how well Gina Carano does as an actress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:19 am 
Site Admin

I did see the advertisment on tv. looks good and I am going to see it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:07 pm 

Just saw a sneak preview and I thought it was pretty terrible. Not so much Gina's acting (she didn't have much to work with since they gave her dumb lines and digitally altered her voice), but just the lack of plot. The fight scenes are okay, but not enough to make up for everything else. Kind of a bummer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:59 am 

treelizard wrote:
Just saw a sneak preview and I thought it was pretty terrible. Not so much Gina's acting (she didn't have much to work with since they gave her dumb lines and digitally altered her voice), but just the lack of plot. The fight scenes are okay, but not enough to make up for everything else. Kind of a bummer.

Gee...what a surprise TreeLizard...is there anything Gina related that you ever have anything positive to say? I've seen many of the previews as well and have read many reviews of the movie and all say that the fight sequences are extremely well done and really good.

Most critics' comments about the movie's plot and her acting tend to fall on the "so-so" side, but that notwithstanding, all say that the fighting is believable, visceral and very high standard. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but based on your past remarks and seeming bias towards Gina, your comment falls into the "here we go again" category. It would be nice if you could be objective just once about Gina, what has the poor girl done to you??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:27 am 

I wanted to like the movie, I really did. I think I was fair to Gina in my review. It's not like it was her fault that they gave her nothing to work with, the plot was terrible and they altered her voice to the point where it was reminiscent of Captain Janeway's. Actually, all of the reviews I've read were pretty negative... It's too bad, b/c I think Gina would've been a great movie star... there's no weight classes or anything.

(And for the record, the people I saw the movie with are huge Gina fans, and they all thought it sucked, too.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 am 

Well, I'll agree w/ you about the voice, I definitely think it detracts from her in the movie but that may also be b/c we already are familiar w/ her and "know" her voice unlike people who are not MMA fans. However, I still find it hard to believe that all the reviews you've read say the movie is bad, or at least the action part of it.

I've read and seen so many varied reviews from different sources and honestly, none of them have said the move is "terrible," etc. Yes, the plot is sort of Bourne-esque and Gina won't win an Orator's Golden achievement award, but they all say Gina did well and again, that the fight scenes and action were more than decent.

In any case, this is silly to go back and forth about; you are entitled to think as you wish. It's just a little ironic still, that you have been such a Gina detractor in the past and almost always find the negative in all things Gina so when I read your post, it was kind of almost exasperating that even for this you would find something bad to say w/o any positivity whatsoever.

But as they say: "it is what it is."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:36 pm 

I didn't say Gina's acting or the action scenes were terrible. I said they were okay. My criticism was mostly about the ridiculous voice alteration, and the plot. Or lack of plot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 am 

Hey flying tsunami.... Brooklyn? Its nice to have another NY'er on the board. Id ask you more but cant PM here anymore.

Manhattan here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:00 am 

Some reviews:

Good Workout, Not So Good Movie:

And the New York Times:
"Once the talking stops and the action begins, her professionalism is very much in evidence and exciting to watch. And yet, somehow, it cannot quite relieve the tedium of a movie that is too cool even to pretend that there is anything worth fighting about."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 am 
Pro Fighter

Rotten Tomatoes gave it an 81% fresh, which isn't bad, but 54% of people said they liked it, which is kinda weird how those percentages happened.

I can't wait to see it! Somehow x_x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 am 

theflyingtsunami wrote:
all say that the fighting is believable, visceral and very high standard.

:lol: ah ha ha ahahahahahahahahaa!