Home | DEBIPURCELL.COM | SHOP.FIGHTERGIRLS.COM Cart | Contact   
It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Women's MMA Rankings
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 pm 

I just wanted to start a thread about how the wmma rankings work so myself and other fans can get a better understanding. Such as, what is the main criteria? What holds more weight, ex. number of fights, quality wins, impressiveness of wins, smile appeal, # of attractive pictures out there........etc....... I realize the last two are kind of ridiculous but we all know that unfortunately they play a role when it comes to media attention.

One that i really don't understand is Julia Budd. She is ranked #8 and has been ranked for a while. However when you look at her record she hasn't beaten anyone note worthy. Her only quality win is over Germaine who i really don't think is good at all when it comes to mma. Yet her being ranked highly gave Rhonda her only quality win, which is my eyes is questionable when it comes to the word "quality".

Another thing that confuses me is some of the changes from month to month. For instance without having any fights Sara McMann moved into the rankings although non in the previous rankings lost. Then for a reason i am unaware of she jumped ahead of Hitomi Akano in one set of the rankings although once again neither had a fight?

Hopefully someone involved with one of the sets of rankings can shed some light on this, or help give some understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:44 am 

great post. i wish i could say that wmma followed some kind of organized ranking structure like shooto, they could do it considering there's only two or maybe three promotions that have the top female fighters. the problem with wmma and rankings, is that it is young. the fighter pool, especially top 10, hasnt mingled yet. fighters still switch weight classes because of lack of competition or looking for a bigger payday.

it's logical to acknowledge the established fighters and address the others based off them.

with ronda, julia, germaine, they are all linked to edaine gomez, who has a record of 8-2. who has edaine fough & beat? no one worth ranking. thats the only official way i can base that part of the totem, other than they competed in strikeforce, which may hold some kind of weight.

in regards to your question about sara and akano moving without fighting: if a fighter who is ranked above the both of them loses to a fighter ranked below them (sara & akano), the top fighter may drop between akano and mcmann or below both of them. the fighter who won could move up past mcmann and akano, between, or not. so other fighters have an affect on one fighter's relative postion in the rankings. now that the depth of 135 is increasing (sara, marloes, akano, and the chick with the huge ass in pro elite) (taint, ronda, budd, sarah d, and some others in strikeforce, and kaufman somewhere) we hopefully will see some accurate rankings come out in the next 6 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:56 pm 
Fightergirls elite poster

Okay Del is somewhat correct regarding movement even with no activity, other reasons could include exactly that, lack of activity, meaning, 12 months is the usual cutoff (unless a fighter is scheduled or has made a legit effort to remain active within a catchweight of their primary division)...however, as inactivity time moves more towards that 12 month mark the valuation level steadily starts to slide down, and since there's only a slight margin between many of the girls that could easily account for a 1 or 2 place bump one way or the other. In addition, if the rating of the opponent that a fighter beat to gain their status goes up or down significantly, that can also effect their own status.

Budd is not currently ranked, but gained her status originally with the debut performance over Shana Olsen, who was ranked at that time. There's not much depth period right now even at 135, but particularly at 145 which is why any of these girls are getting ranked. And Gomes isn't that good but the margin between her and the top tier at 135 isn't that great either. Olsen, Gomes or Budd could be very difficult match-ups for the 10-6 at 135 if/when they move down. Elaina Maxwell (who's #7 @145) beat Alexis Davis (who's now #5 @ 135) pretty handily not that long ago. So again, the margin overall between any of the girls at BOTH 145 or 135 is not that great. And Ronda gained her ranking via the combined dominant wins over Gomes, D'alelio and Budd..and it was the 'performance' level at which she got those wins. every one of them was complete dominating blowouts. Oh, and we don't consider Budd's win over Germaine as anything but another lame decision...we go by actual 'performance' shown not poor judging or corrupt/missed calls.

And on a side note - we actually do plan on adding rankings for things like, best marketing/hype, conditioning, best ambassador, most improved, best staredowns etc. because those aspects are absolutely crucial and 50% of what the fight game is all about and what knowledgeable promoters look for, although they will obviously be separate from the regular performance rankings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm 

Is 50% a scientific number...........What was the basis on Akano passing McMann? She hasn't lost since 2010 and that was against the current title holder? I am assuming that Rhonda jumps because of her superior shit talking skills........and possibly that she has finally gotten rid of her spare tire. 135 is heads and tails above all of the other weights in my humble opinion............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:19 pm 

@GHP, if you look at the rankings on MMA HQ, I always put in a paragraph explaining why the committee decided certain fighters should be moved up or down.

We do not rank based on shit talking skills, just on performance. Most recently, Rousey moved into the #2 slot (and Yamanaka at #1) because Cyborg was removed due to her suspension for steroids. And McMann is at 6, with Akano at 7. Actually the only change at bantamweight for the month was Kaitlin Young and Julie Kedzie switching spots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:05 pm 

It made sense obviously to drop Cyborg out. I must have been looking at a different set of rankings that had Akano above McMann previously. Where are you guys thinking about putting Rousey if Taint somehow pulls out the win?

I am just trying to get a good understanding of how the rankings work in your eyes since you are the ones that do them. So you guys will increase a person's rank with a fight you believe they perform well in even if they lose? An example of this would be Carmouche jumping in the rankings after her fight with Marloes, even though she lost? It probably seems as though i am picking them apart but in reality i am just trying to see what plays the biggest part in your ranking system, or what the set criteria is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:54 pm 

There are multiple rankings systems out there, ours have a pretty clear explanation that is explained in detail:

We rank on full fight performance, not just wins/losses, so would have to see the whole fight before deciding who goes where... If Tate barely squeaks out a decision would be different than if she completely dominated or got a finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:04 pm 

Okay, heres another question. How is it that someone is ranked top ten in the pound for pound before other girls that are ranked ahead of her at her own weight are ranked here. Example-Akano in the October rankings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm 

GHP wrote:
Okay, heres another question. How is it that someone is ranked top ten in the pound for pound before other girls that are ranked ahead of her at her own weight are ranked here. Example-Akano in the October rankings?

We just fixed some of those discrepancies for January when we let some of those stay where they were for too long, but basically it has more to do with history, etc. in multiple weight classes. I think the only one right now that is like that is Zingano/smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:41 am 

P4P rankings are pointless IMO.

I agree with Sonnen on that matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:24 am 

Judo Racer wrote:
P4P rankings are pointless IMO.

I agree with Sonnen on that matter.

Then don't read them.

Post subject: