It is currently Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:51 am 

Hey, Everyone,

I'm hoping some of you folks can provide some insight and advice here.

When is it time to start looking for your first fight? And when it's time, how do you start looking?

In my case I've wanted to try getting into MMA for some time, and I suspect I may be waiting too long to be "ready." I've trained BJJ and grappling for 6 years, I'm a purple belt...but on the other hand I finally started Muay Thai last year, and about 6 months of pad work is all the stand-up experience I've had in my life. I'd love to wait until I feel confident in my striking game, but on the other other hand, I just turned 30 and don't think I can wait forever for my first fight.

Other info in case it helps: I'm in New York City, training at Renzo Gracie's. I walk around at 122 lbs. and can make 115. If I do start looking for a fight, what do I do and who do I talk to in my area (obviously, besides talking to my instructors)?

Thanks a ton!

- Anne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:01 pm 

I'm speaking from my own personal experience here, but I think after you've been training for a year or more, the only way you're going to know you're really ready is to take on a fight. I've been training for a year and a half and a few weeks ago signed on for my first fight. Since them my training has, rightfully, gotten a lot more focused and intense. Without the 'deadline' of needing to be ready, I would probably just keep going along without really progressing to where I might truly feel ready. With a fight in sight, I'm making myself ready.

As for looking for a fight, with training at Renzo Gracie's, surely they have competitive fighters there, right? Have you talked to your trainer(s) about looking for a fight? One of my trainers was asked if he had anyone for an upcoming fight as they were trying to fill the card. If it were me that had wanted to start looking, my trainers know who to talk to in order to get that going. Do your trainers have those connections?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:27 am 

Thanks, that's a great point, and it's true that actually having a deadline has helped me make a lot of progress in a short time in the past.

Talking to the instructors at my academy is definitely going to be my first step in looking for a fight; I just wondered if any one on the forum here new of particularly good contacts to recommend.